Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sir, Can You Help Me

"Sir, can you help me" will forever be the words that will push me forward in fighting for the rights of others. These words were spoken to me by a blind women in one of the camps who had just told her recent story of despair of how 21 days earlier in the middle of the night her blind husband was taken from her along with roughly 200 other men. The soldiers were once again rounding up anyone who could possibly have been a rebel supporter and dragging them off to what they call a rehabilitation camp. This young women pleaded with the soldiers not to take her husband, but to no avail.

As I listened to her story I grew angry at the evil of man. Why would a blind man be considered a threat? Why would a women stuck in a barbed wire camp, living in a tent, be denied her husband? Why was I so incapable of answering her request for help? It was one of those times that my heart broke and all that was good seemed to fade in despair.

This women's ask for help will not go unanswered. I will seek the help of others and rely on Jesus to make this terrible injustice right. This has made me more aware of how desperately I need the Holy Spirit working in my life to help bring justice and mercy to a fallen world.

-Kurt

No comments:

Post a Comment